Why Goals Fail
How are your New Years Resolution coming? Are you like me in that you are claiming the grace of God a little early this year?
Two of the reason why our resolutions and goals fail is that they are:
1) unspecific in their desired outcomes, and
2) unclear in their next steps.
"I'd like to lose some (unspecific) weight (unclear how to do that)."
Here is a better way of saying it:
"I want to lose ten pounds (specific) this year by going to the gym every morning (clear)."
Other examples include:
- Instead of "I'd like to run to get in shape", try "I want to run a 5k in March."
- Instead of "I'd like to be better-read", try "I will read four classics this year."
- Instead of "I'd like to travel", try "In 2018 I am taking two international trips to places I've never been before."
The one I hear all the time is "This year I want to be more spiritual", or "I want to nurture my spiritual side in 2018." These are unspecific in their desired outcomes. How do you know if you are successful? They are also not clear in what you would do to make that happen.
Here are ten random possibilities of some better ways of nurturing your walk wit Christ in 2018:
- "I will be in worship 3 times a month without fail."
- "I am going to start attending that darn Bible study that I have been putting off."
- "I am filling out a pledge card and giving $X regularly to the general budget of my church."
- "Every morning I wake up, my knees will hit the ground before my feet in prayer."
- "I am making and sticking to a reading plan to read the whole New Testament."
- "I am going to ask Ed about a devotional book I can read to strengthen my faith."
- "I will seek God's help to forgive that person that I have not forgiven."
- "I will join a church and fully commit to it."
- "I am going to reach out to ______ and ask how I can serve in the life of the church."
- "I am going to email Jim about a new Bible to get and where to begin."
What about you? What does 2018 hold for you? What is God calling you to do for Him?
Remember, not one of us ever 'arrives' until we see Jesus face-to-face (1 John 3:2; 1 Cor 13:12) so what can you do in the next year, month, week, day, hour to strengthen your faith and walk more closely with Him?
One more goal to consider: "I will help one high school student in Romania get an education and be discipled through World Vision."
Our church has such a unique opportunity with our history and contacts to make this happen. Please consider attending the Hearts for Romania dinner event coming up February 10th, 2018 at Mount Vernon Country Club. It is $75 per attendee.
You can RSVP HERE and enter the code: Rockland2018.
Or, come by a table Fellowship Hall one Sunday this month!
See you Sunday!
More in News & Stories
November 7, 2019Pews to Chairs
September 4, 2019Bible Study Opportunities
July 18, 2019Rockland Family Camp - Registration and Waiver Forms